8600-331 Understanding Support Services Operations in an Organisation
- December 5, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: ILM level 3
The ILM Level 3 module includes a unit, 8600-331 Understanding Support Services Operations in an Organisation, designed to provide learners with insights into the operational aspects of support services within an organisation. This unit focuses on enhancing comprehension of how support services can impact an organisation, emphasising their role in facilitating successful production processes and the distribution of products and services in the market.
Various principles govern the interaction between an organisation and its support services, and leaders must grasp these principles to ensure compliance with legal frameworks and standards. The unit delves into understanding the range of products and services essential for organisational functioning, such as banking and insurance. It also explores the processes involved in acquiring these support services, encompassing legal frameworks and organisational policies.
Primarily targeted at first-line managers, the unit aims to equip them with the knowledge necessary to actively contribute to organisational objectives in terms of performance and compliance. This comprehensive understanding of support services operations is vital for fostering effective leadership in the context of organisational goals. The unit comprises 7 hours of guided learning and contributes 3 credit values toward the overall completion of the ILM Level 3 module, making it a cornerstone unit within the program.
Unit purpose and aim(s)
To cultivate a comprehensive comprehension of the operational intricacies involved in support services within an organisation, including the various processes, principles, and interactions that shape and influence these essential support functions. This involves gaining insights into how support services impact the organisation’s overall functioning, specifically in terms of optimising production processes and facilitating the efficient distribution of products and services in the market. The aim is to delve into the nuanced dynamics that govern the relationship between the organisation and its support services, with a focus on ensuring alignment with established legal frameworks and standards. This understanding extends to the identification and evaluation of the diverse products and services required by the organisation, such as those related to banking and insurance, along with an exploration of the associated acquisition processes guided by legal frameworks and organisational policies. Ultimately, the overarching goal is to empower learners with the knowledge needed to navigate and contribute effectively to the support services operations within an organisation.
Who is this unit suitable for?
Support service operations play a crucial role for all stakeholders within an organisation, encompassing shareholders and employees alike. These stakeholders must have a comprehensive understanding of the spectrum of support services, distinguishing between hard and soft services, and be well-versed in the legal frameworks that govern the acquisition of such services. This knowledge ensures their ability to secure the necessary resources and services pertinent to their areas of operation while adhering to legal principles.
Moreover, stakeholders must ensure that the acquisition of support services aligns with organisational policies and principles. This guarantees that the support services meet the organisation’s specific requirements and quality standards. Unit 8600-331 Understanding Support Services Operations in an organisation proves highly beneficial for stakeholders, offering insights into the principles underlying the acquisition of support services.
Primarily designed for first-line managers, junior managers, and team leaders operating at the operational level, this unit serves to enhance their understanding of acquiring support services tailored to their project teams. However, its applicability extends to middle managers and top managers who make decisions at higher tactical and strategic levels. For these leaders, the unit provides valuable guidance in positioning the organisation to access support services of high quality.
The information gleaned from this unit is not only applicable to managerial roles but is also relevant to individuals aspiring to contribute to the provision of support services. Additionally, it serves as a valuable resource for employees within the organisation, preparing them for engagement in support service-related activities. Overall, the unit serves as a comprehensive guide for stakeholders at various levels, contributing to a robust understanding of the principles governing the acquisition of support services within an organisation.
Upon successful completion of this unit, learners should acquire the following competencies:
- Comprehensive Understanding of Support Services:
- Gain insight into the diverse range of support services essential for organisational functioning.
- Comprehend the legislative landscape influencing these services.
- Analysis of Support Services Provision:
- Analyse the current provision and delivery mechanisms of support services.
- Explore various options for delivering support services.
- Distinction Between Hard and Soft Services:
- Effectively differentiate between hard and soft services within the specific organisational context.
- Legal Considerations and Acquisition Principles:
- Understand the legal implications surrounding support services.
- Grasp the principles guiding the acquisition of support services.
- Role and Structure of Service Level Agreements (SLAs):
- Describe the role of service-level agreements.
- Explore the typical structure and content of service-level agreements.
- Utilisation of SLAs by Customers and Suppliers:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how service level agreements are utilised by both customers and suppliers within the organisation.
- Overview of Current Support Services:
- Provide a detailed description of the support services currently offered by managed departments.
- Explain the methods employed in the delivery of these support services.
- Development of Support Services Aligned with Organisational Requirements:
- Explain approaches to providing support services that align with the specific requirements of the organisation.
- Measurement and Monitoring of Support Service Quality:
- Describe various approaches and methods employed for the measurement and monitoring of the quality of support services.
Key Learning Areas
Unit 8600-331 Understanding Support Services Operations in an organisation is dedicated to enhancing comprehension of support services operations. To achieve this learning objective, the unit delves into key areas of knowledge, particularly quality management and legal implications. The primary focus areas within this unit are as follows:
- Range of Support Services and Legal Implications:
- Facilitates understanding of the various products and services essential for the organisation.
- Differentiates between soft and hard services within the organisational context.
- Ensures a grasp of policies and procedures related to the acquisition of support services.
- Builds awareness of trends in support service operations and relevant legislation impacting the area of practice.
- Service Level Agreements:
- Creates awareness and understanding of service level agreements (SLAs).
- Ensures comprehension of the typical structure and content of SLAs and their usage by customers and suppliers.
- Explores the interpretation of formal agreements with clients and the subsequent customer service procedures.
- Covers authorization procedures, as well as concepts like de-escalation, resolution, and complaint handling associated with SLAs.
- Focuses on quality assurance procedures to uphold standard and legal regulations in the provision of support services.
- Quality Management:
- Concentrates on aligning support services with organisational requirements.
- Ensures that support services adhere to established organisational policies.
- Guides learners in delivering services that meet specified principles and requirements through various delivery options and maintaining quality.
- Develops tools for performance measurement and monitoring of support services within the organisation.
- Emphasises the importance of conducting audits to determine the quality standards of provided support services.
By covering these critical areas, the unit equips learners with a well-rounded understanding of support services operations, emphasising the integration of legal compliance, service level agreements, and quality management to ensure the effective provision of support services aligned with organisational objectives and standards.
Upon successfully concluding the unit, learners are mandated to fulfil a written assessment. This assessment is structured around a comprehensive template featuring inquiries about the unit. The template thoughtfully encompasses both theoretical and practical aspects, serving as a platform for learners to apply and demonstrate the skills they have acquired throughout the unit. The questions within the template are designed to gauge the learners’ understanding of the concepts and principles covered in the unit, encompassing a holistic evaluation of their theoretical knowledge and practical skill development.
- Carter, C. R., & Easton, A. (2018). Support services management: A strategic approach. Routledge.
- Davies, A. (2020). The support services handbook: A comprehensive guide to managing and delivering support services. Kogan Page.
- Hopkinson, P., & James, P. (2019). Support services outsourcing: A practical guide. Routledge.
- Lock, D., & Scott, R. (2021). Support services: A critical introduction. Sage.
- Skene, J., & Craighead, N. (2018). Support services: An international perspective. Routledge.
What is the primary focus of the unit 8600-331?
The unit aims to enhance understanding of support services operations within an organization, covering key areas such as quality management, legal implications, and service level agreements.
Who is the target audience for this unit?
The unit is designed for first-line managers, junior managers, team leaders, as well as individuals seeking roles in providing support services within an organization.
What key learning areas are covered in the unit?
The unit encompasses learning areas such as the range of support services and legal implications, service level agreements, and quality management.
How does the unit address the differentiation between hard and soft services?
Learners gain insights into distinguishing between hard and soft services within the specific organizational context, understanding policies and procedures related to their acquisition.
What is the role of service level agreements in the unit?
The unit covers the awareness and understanding of service level agreements, including their typical structure and content, and how they are utilized by customers and suppliers.