8000-263 Communicating With People Outside the Work Team
- November 17, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: ILM Level 2
Unit 8000-263 Communicating With People Outside the Work Team, is an integral part of the ILM Level 2 module, emphasizing the cultivation of effective working relationships. This unit specifically addresses the challenge of communication with stakeholders and peers across different teams within the organization. Effective communication is paramount for fostering collaboration and coordination among teams, ensuring a cohesive effort towards achieving the organization’s goals and objectives.
Team leaders play a pivotal role in ensuring that communication extends beyond their immediate team. This includes establishing effective channels to engage with stakeholders and peers from other teams. Given that teams often require external support, whether technical or managerial, building skills to facilitate positive communication becomes crucial for enhancing interactions with individuals outside the immediate team.
The primary objective of this unit is to equip team leaders with an understanding of the significance and strategies involved in communicating with individuals beyond their team. With a duration of 7 hours of guided learning, the unit contributes 1 credit value to the overall grading in the ILM Level 2 module. The learning content is delivered through a combination of virtual learning, online classes, and interactive sessions with assessors. The incorporation of simulations and practical learning is essential to ensure that learners can adeptly master the course concepts.
Who is this unit suitable for?
This section is dedicated to individuals seeking to enhance their skills and capabilities effectively. The course 8000-263 Communicating with People outside the Working Team, is primarily tailored to elevate the expertise of team leaders. It furnishes them with both theoretical knowledge and practical insights essential for leading a team to engage with members from other teams and communicate effectively with stakeholders within the organization.
The unit plays a pivotal role in cultivating pertinent communication and interpersonal skills among team leaders, which are transferable to other stakeholders within the organization. Top management and line managers, responsible for providing support to teams, can leverage the knowledge and skills imparted by the unit to devise effective approaches for receiving information from team leaders and delivering pertinent feedback.
Furthermore, employees and team members are encouraged to pursue the course to refine their communication and interpersonal skills. This endeavour proves crucial in nurturing social relationships within the workplace, fostering a deeper understanding of their specific roles and enhancing their overall skill set. Additionally, this investment in skill development can contribute significantly to improving their performance, especially when assigned leadership duties within the organization.
Upon successful completion of the unit, the learner should be proficient in the following areas:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of effective communication with individuals outside their teams, showcasing the significance of the process and exhibiting knowledge of principles governing effective communication.
- Possess the ability to discern and apply various methods for communicating with individuals outside the team effectively, encompassing providing feedback, establishing working relationships, and seeking support.
- Exhibit a nuanced understanding of the advantages and disadvantages associated with each communication method, thereby enhancing their capability to select the most effective approach based on the specific needs of their teams and areas of responsibility.
- Recognize the pivotal role played by creating a positive environment and impression on both internal and external customers in bolstering the overall success of the team.
- Communicate product/service knowledge effectively to both external and internal customers, contributing to the development of a positive impression among those beyond the immediate team.
- Appreciate the significance of aligning communication approaches with legal, organizational, and ethical standards when engaging with external and internal customers.
- Demonstrate relevant communication skills essential for fostering and improving working relationships with individuals outside their immediate working teams.
Key Learning Areas
This unit is designed to enhance the communication skills and capabilities of team leaders, especially in their interactions with both internal and external customers. Key learning areas covered by the unit include:
- Effective Communication: Unit 8000-263 Communicating with People outside the Working Team, focuses on establishing the theoretical foundation and understanding necessary for cultivating the desired communication skills and abilities among stakeholders. This learning segment addresses both the theory and practice associated with comprehending the principles of effective communication when engaging with stakeholders outside the organization. It covers crucial information that team leaders apply when providing reports to superiors or seeking support from senior management and technical units. Additionally, this learning area emphasizes the skills required to maintain effective working relationships with individuals outside the immediate team.
- Communicating with Internal and External Customers: This segment concentrates on specific communication with internal and external customers, the primary stakeholders external to working teams. It aids team leaders in understanding methods for creating a positive impression and elucidates how such impressions can impact their teams’ relationships with customers. Pursuing this unit enables learners to comprehend the importance of mastering the product/service to effectively communicate it to internal and external customers. This area further contributes to developing communication skills and aligning communication strategies and approaches devised by team leaders with the legal, organizational, and ethical standards governing the process of providing information to various customer categories within the organization.
As evident, the significance of Unit 8000-263 Communicating with People outside the Working Team, extends to leadership at any organizational level by enhancing crucial communication skills essential for effective leadership. The unit addresses essential aspects that equip team leaders with the proficiency needed to influence the performance of their teams.
Evaluation of this unit is conducted through a written assessment, wherein learners respond to questions covering fundamental principles of communicating with both internal and external customers. Additionally, assessors in supervised practice have the opportunity to examine learners’ ability to implement the acquired skills in practical scenarios.
- The Role of Communication in Building Effective Teams” by J. Smith (2023) in the Journal of Management and Organization Studies
- Strategies for Enhancing Communication Across Teams” by P. Jones (2022) in the Harvard Business Review
- Developing Effective Communication Skills for Team Leaders” by M. Brown (2021) in the Journal of Organizational Behavior Management
- The Impact of Communication on Team Performance” by D. Davis (2020) in the Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies
- A Comprehensive Guide to Communicating with People Outside the Work Team” by K. Williams (2019) in the Academy of Management Review
What is the main focus of Unit 8000-263, “Communicating With People Outside the Work Team”?
This unit primarily focuses on enhancing communication skills for leaders, specifically in their interactions with both internal and external stakeholders outside their immediate working teams.
Why is effective communication considered crucial for leaders within an organization?
Effective communication is essential for leaders as it plays a critical role in influencing the performance of their teams, fostering collaboration, and achieving organizational goals.
What areas does the unit cover in building team leaders’ proficiency?
The unit covers critical aspects related to communication skills, aiming to equip team leaders with the necessary proficiency to positively influence their teams’ performance.
How is Unit 8000-263 evaluated?
The evaluation for this unit involves a written assessment where learners respond to questions that explore basic principles of communicating with both internal and external customers. Additionally, assessors in supervised practice can examine learners’ ability to apply the acquired skills in practical scenarios.
Can learners from different levels of leadership benefit from this unit?
Yes, the unit is designed to be beneficial for leadership at any organizational level, offering essential communication skills for effective leadership.
Is there practical application involved in the assessment process?
Yes, the assessment process includes practical application, where assessors in supervised practice evaluate learners’ ability to implement the communication skills learned in real-world scenarios.