8617-703 Developing strategic leadership and management capability
- January 18, 2024
- Posted by: admin
- Category: ILM Level 7
ILM 8617-703 Developing strategic leadership and management capability, a component of the ILM Level 7 Diploma, is dedicated to developing strategic leadership and management capabilities. In this course, participants engage in learning experiences aimed at honing the skills and knowledge required for effective strategic leadership. The emphasis is on cultivating the ability to make strategic decisions, navigate complex challenges, and lead teams towards long-term success. The content is tailored to individuals in leadership positions seeking to enhance their strategic thinking and management proficiency, providing them with a robust foundation for addressing the dynamic demands of the business environment at a higher level.
What is the purpose of this unit?
The primary goal of ILM 8617-703 is to equip participants with the cognitive and behavioural skills essential for conducting a strategic investigation into senior leadership and management within a specific context. This involves employing strategic leadership and management approaches to analyze, evaluate, and understand the dynamics of senior leadership. The aim is to foster a deeper understanding of strategic decision-making, enabling individuals to navigate complex situations effectively and contribute to the overall success of the organization at a senior level.
Who should take this unit?
ILM 8617-703, focused on developing strategic leadership and management capability, is ideally suited for individuals aspiring to or currently occupying senior leadership roles. This unit is designed for those pursuing the ILM Level 7 Diploma, targeting individuals who want to enhance their cognitive and behavioural skills to undertake strategic investigations within a senior leadership and management context. It is particularly beneficial for professionals seeking to elevate their strategic thinking, decision-making, and management proficiency to effectively contribute to organizational success at the senior level.
What are the learning outcomes?
- Get to know the world of senior leaders and managers – understand what they deal with and how things work in their positions.
AC 1.1 Analyse the strategic context of a learner-specified organisation using theoretical approaches appropriate to Level 7
- Analyze your organization’s strategic situation using at least two theoretical approaches. At Level 7, you should be able to explain why you chose these models and any changes you made to them.
AC 1.2 Identify the espoused strategic leadership and management capabilities in the context of the learner-specified organisation
Based on concrete proof, pinpoint the strategic leadership and management skills that your organization values. This evidence can be found in various forms such as job descriptions, strategy documents, values statements, internal management handbooks, and more.
AC 1.3 Critically evaluate the congruence of leadership and management actions with espoused capabilities in the specified context
Think about how leaders use the skills they’re supposed to have and point out any differences between what they say they can do and what they do. If there are differences, try to explain why they exist. And if everything lines up well, explain why that might be.
2. The learner will know how to create a plan for researching and putting ideas into action that is useful for leadership and management.
AC 2.1 Investigate relevance to leadership and management with data gathered from a variety of sources to meet own or organisation’s needs
- Option 1: Pick a part of leadership and management in your workplace that you want to learn more about. Investigate it, keeping in mind what your stakeholders need. Find areas where you can make things better.
- Option 2: Collect info about your own leadership and management skills using different tools like appraisals, feedback from your manager, colleagues, and those you lead, as well as 360 evaluations. Use this info to figure out what skills you need to improve, matching what your stakeholders expect from you.
AC. 2.2 Using the results of the investigation in 2.1 formulate a robust plan for the leadership and/or management of self or organisation in the specified context taking account of the needs of specified stakeholders
- Using what you discovered in Activity 2.1, create a strong plan to get better. Consider your workplace and what your stakeholders need in this plan.
AC 2.3 Critically evaluate the sources of information and development available to senior leaders and managers including professional network(s) and how they might inform the investigation
- Where can senior leaders and managers find info and chances to get better at leading and managing? Think about things like training sessions and info sources. Decide how helpful these are for getting leaders and managers better at their jobs. Also, think about how much these sources can help with your investigation or plan.
3. The learner will know how to put the investigation into action and see how well it works.
AC 3.1 Demonstrate how engagement with a professional network has impacted your thinking with regard to leadership and management
Join or go to three events in a professional group. Show how this has changed the way you think about leading and managing. The events could be workshops, casual meetings, talking with peers, online chats, webinars, official networking events, or something similar.
AC 3.2 Critically evaluate the impact of the implementation of at least part of the plan detailed in 2.2
- Have you done what you planned to do so far? How has it affected things – is it working well, or does it need some changes to get better?
AC.3.3 Communicate the impact of the investigation using appropriate media to specified stakeholders
- Show how you told certain people about what you found in your investigation.
What are the assessment requirements?
Learners are expected to handle a variety of presentation methods for the assessment of this unit. They should be proficient in using diagrams, slides, and short reports, as well as be capable of employing podcasts, webinars, slides, and recordings to convey information. Additionally, they are encouraged to present their findings in summary reports, webinars, podcasts, recordings, or slide shows with voiceovers.
The assessment may also involve creating organizational improvement plans or Professional Development plans, incorporating relevant stakeholder needs analysis tables. Learners should be adept at presenting detailed tables while critically evaluating the information they provide. Demonstrating a change in thinking about workplace practices, whether orally or in writing, is another aspect to be addressed.
In summary, learners are expected to showcase their skills across a diverse range of presentation methods to effectively communicate the impact of their investigation and activities.
What is ILM 8617-703?
ILM 8617-703 is a unit within the ILM Level 7 Diploma, focusing on developing strategic leadership and management capabilities.
Who is the target audience for this unit?
This unit is designed for individuals in leadership roles, particularly those seeking to enhance their strategic thinking and management proficiency at a higher level.
What is the main aim of this unit?
The main aim of ILM 8617-703 is to equip learners with the cognitive and behavioral skills needed to conduct a strategic investigation into senior leadership and management within a specific context, using strategic approaches.
How long does it take to complete ILM 8617-703?
The duration of the unit may vary, but it is part of the ILM Level 7 Diploma, which involves a comprehensive exploration of strategic leadership and management capabilities.
What does the assessment involve for this unit?
The assessment for this unit may include tasks such as analyzing organizational contexts, creating improvement plans, participating in professional activities, and presenting findings using various methods like slides, reports, webinars, and podcasts.
Can learners choose their preferred presentation method?
Yes, learners are encouraged to utilize various presentation methods such as diagrams, slides, short reports, podcasts, webinars, and recordings based on their preferences and the requirements of the assessment.