8581-702 Undertaking an extended period of Coaching or Mentoring at a Senior and Strategic Level
- July 11, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: ILM Level 7
8581-702 An extended period of Coaching or Mentoring at a Senior and Strategic Level is intended for senior managers or HR/OD professionals who want to develop their expertise and credibility in the fields of coaching and mentoring, or who want to establish coaching or mentoring at an organisational level. It is also intended for professional coaches and mentors who want to supplement and validate their experience with a nationally recognised qualification.
The learner will:
- Understand how to negotiate a contract to coach or mentor senior/strategic clients.
- Be able to plan, deliver, and evaluate at least twenty hours of coaching or mentoring contact with senior/strategic clients.
- Possess the ability to reflect on all coaching or mentoring activity, feedback, and supervision.
The learner can:
- Establish and maintain effective coaching or mentoring relationships with senior/strategic clients.
- Plan, prepare, and maintain accurate and auditable records for twenty hours of coaching or mentoring with individual clients operating at an appropriate senior/strategic level. Discuss and evaluate clients’ development and support needs and goals, and agree on a contract for coaching or mentoring in the context of the individual and organisation.
- Conduct at least twenty hours of appropriate coaching or mentoring contact with clients to explore outcomes and options.
- Examine clients’ development and support needs, as well as their progress toward achieving their goals and outcomes.
- Participate actively in peer coaching and mentoring networks, as well as other personal and professional coaching and mentoring networks.
- Actively participate in supervision to obtain feedback and advice on your performance as a coach or mentor.
- Gather client feedback to improve your performance as a coach or mentor.
- Reflect critically on the feedback and activities completed to identify one’s strengths and development needs, and plan how to improve one’s executive, leadership, professional, and business coaching or mentoring practice.
Unit purpose and aim(s)
To allow students to demonstrate their ability to participate in a coaching or mentoring programme at the appropriate level.
Benefits for individuals
- Know how to review and build the context, strategy, culture, and processes for coaching and mentoring at a senior and strategic level
- Understand and analyse different coaching and mentoring models and their impact
- Evaluate your communication skills, emotional intelligence, interpersonal skills, and values to determine your competence as a coach or mentor.
- Plan, deliver, and evaluate coaching and mentoring contact with senior and strategic clients.
Benefits for employers
- Implement coaching in complex working environments or at a senior and strategic level within the organisation;
- Ensure that the organization’s coaches and mentors have the necessary skills, knowledge, and ethical understanding; and
- Compare an organization’s approach to best industry practices.
- Foster a coaching or mentoring culture in which senior managers and leaders demonstrate a commitment to supporting their own and others’ professional development and performance improvement.